Flush It Friday: What’s In A Name
You might still be cruising on that between-the-years energy and not even looking for new metal releases right now. You might be busy as heck getting back into that grind and just don’t have the time. Or maybe you’re already chomping at the bit for new material to cram into your bottomless, ever-unsatisfied earholes. If that is the case, I’ve got good news for you: metal in 2023 seems determined to remain fucking stupid, as evidenced by the names of the bands who released things this week.
- Admire the Grim
- Art of Silence
- Bis•nte (I assume it’s an O, but that’s just not user friendly)
- Cranial Crusher
- Fractures In The Sky
- Guts Club (apparently not affiliated with Nickelodeon)
- Gyaos:Diabolical (I’ve since learned that Gyaos is a kaiju. Thanks, Gojipedia! Gotta love any website with a “More roars” button.)
- Hee Hee Shamone (nvm, that one’s actually brilliant)
- Incendiary Visage (maybe not so bad? I can’t tell anymore. Definitely anti-fash, which is nice.)
- Little Villains
- Napalm Vomit
- Old Man Gobbo
- Reekin’ Corpse (again, maybe not so bad, but the song titles sure are)
- Ropes Inside A Hole (formerly Hotdog In A Hallway)
- Sidestepping the Sun (< Crabwalking Uranus)
- Slam Police
- Ville Valo
These are all more or less terrible. Well done. To be fair, not everybody can have that early bird benefit that allows you to snag something like Obituary, but damn. Oh, speaking of OSDM, Transcending Obscurity released some pretty nice OH FUCK IT’S ROGGA AGAIN GOD DAMN IT.
Maybe we’d better turn our attention to stuff you should NOT have missed this week.
Joe may still not have listened to Chat Pile, but you betcha he’ll make time for our pals Extinction:
Beavis kept the PR machine rolling with another premiere:
The Bois agreed that metal memes suck, as does every “Best Metal of 2022” list:
These albums were not good enough for our year-end lists and should feel bad:
And you? Still catching up on stuff you missed last year? Already compiling AOTY lists neatly arranged by genre? What’s been going on, Good, Bad, Ugly, or otherwise? Let us know in the comments.