ToH Guest Celebrity Best of 2K15, Featuring Cormorant, Thorr-Axe, Zealotry, Cemetery Filth, Maximum Oversatan, and Barshasketh
Even more guest celebrity top albums of 2015 lists! Can you handle all this listmania?
Matt Solis – Cormorant
10. Ghost – Meliora | Loma Vista Recordings
9. False – Untitled | Gilead Media
8. Horrendous – Anareta | Dark Descent Records
7. Pale Chalice – Negate the Infinite and Miraculous | Gilead Media
6. Mgła – Exercises in Futility | Northern Heritage Records
5. Lychgate – An Antidote for the Glass Pill | Blood Music
4. Enslaved – In Times | Nuclear Blast Records
3. Chelsea Wolfe – Abyss | Sargent House
2. Nechochwen – Heart of Akamon | Bindrune Recordings
1. Panopticon – Autumn Eternal | Bindrune Recordings
Tucker Thomasson – Thorr-Axe
10. Thou/The Body – You, Whom I Have Always Hated | Thrill Jockey Records
9. Deafheaven – New Bermuda | Anti Records
8. Drudkh – A Furrow Cut Short | Season of Mist
7. Abigail Williams – The Accuser | Candlelight Records
6. Leviathan – Scar Sighted | Profound Lore Records
5. The Black Dahlia Murder – Abysmal | Metal Blade Records
4. High On Fire – Luminiferous | Entertainment One
3. Ghost Bath – Moonlover | Loma Vista Recordings
2. Cult Leader – Lightless Walk | Deathwish Inc
1. So Hideous – Laurestine | Independent
Roman – Zealotry
10. Malthusian – Below the Hengiform | Invictus Productions
9. Arcturus – Arcturian | Prophecy Productions
8. Gospel of the Witches – Salem’s Wounds | Century Media Records
7. Heaving Earth – Denouncing the Holy Throne | Lavadome Records
6. Cruciamentum – Charnel Passages | Profound Lore Records
5. Iron Maiden – The Book of Souls | Parlophone
4. Desolate Shrine – The Heart of the Netherworld | Dark Descent Records
3. Blind Guardian – Beyond the Red Mirror | Nuclear Blast Records
2. Adversarial – Death, Endless Nothing and the Black Knife of Nihilism | Dark Descent Records
1. Chthe’ilist – Le Dernier Crépuscule | Profound Lore Records
Ryan Guinn – Cemetery Filth
10. Revenge – Beyond Total Rejection | Season of Mist
9. Crypt Sermon – Out of the Garden | Dark Descent Records
8. Temple of Void – Of Terror and The Supernatural | Rain Without End Records
7. Necrowretch – With Serpents Scourge | Century Media Records
6. Napalm Death – Apex Predator – Easy Meat | Century Media Records
5. Blood Incantation – Interdimentional Extinction | Dark Descent Records
4. Ectovoid – Dark Abstraction | Hellthrasher Productions
3. Exhumation – Opus Death | Dunkelheit Produktionen
2. Undergang – Døden Læger Alle Sår | Dark Descent Records
1. Autopsy – Skullgrinder | Peaceville Records
Atomic Destructor From Hell’s – Maximum Oversatan – “Top 10 albums I listened to and liked for the first time in 2015 because new music sucks”
10. Great White – Great White | EMI
9. Mutilator – Immortal Force | Cogumelo Records
8. Vatican – Power is Obsession | Gravitizer Records
7. Forgotten Child – Forgotten Child | Blue Lampion
6. Fifth Angel – Fifth Angel | Shrapnel Records
5. Oblivion – Quest for Power | Independent
4. Against the Grain – Road Warriors (ACTUAL 2015 RELEASE ALERT) | Self Destructo Records
3. Anthem – Bound to Break | Nexus
2. Blind Assassin – Put to the Sword | Cult Metal Classics Records
1. Apollo Ra – Ra Pariah | Independent
G. M. – Barshasketh
The lowly lizard was utterly humbled to be graced with guest lists from his #1 and #2 picks from this year. Guitarist G.M. from Barshasketh has dropped in to give us a run-down of some of the releases that he enjoyed this year.
Akhlys– The Dreaming I | Debemur Morti Productions
This second album by Akhlys following on from Supplication  is a decidedly more metal oriented release. The Dreaming I is based around an exploration of dreamscapes. Boasting a well defined, yet mysterious and expansive sound, this is a release that balances aggression with atmosphere perfectly.
Abyssal– Antikatastaseis | Profound Lore Records
The third album by enigmatic Death Metal band Abyssal brings a couple of new elements to the table including real drums (as recorded by Timo Hakkinen) and a more textured sound than we heard on previous efforts. A truly labyrinthine album which demands repeated listens to unlock its secrets.
Devouring Star– Through Lung and Heart | Daemon Worship
Through Lung and Heart is the debut album by Finland’s Devouring Star, and it is a heavy one. In contrast to the relatively melodic sound of the demo, JL opted for a suffocating death metal sound on this full length album. Its oppressive atmosphere and furious riffing are definitely worth your time.
Crypt Sermon– Out Of The Garden | Dark Descent Records
Easily the finest traditional doom release of the year. It’s not a style that I listen to on a regular basis, but it’s impossible to deny the quality of songwriting or the performances here. Truly stellar.
Shrine Of Insanibilis– Disciples of the Void | W.T.C Productions
The debut album from Shrine of Insanabilis, an act that seems to have sprung out of nowhere to produce one of the finest albums of the year. Powerful sounding both in its artifice and its production, this album radiates pure darkness. I am sure that I am not alone in wondering where this band will take us next with their future work.
VI– De Praestigiis Angelorum | Agonia Records
Taking into account that this band features members of Aosoth, Antaeus and Merrimack, I expected this to be a high quality release, and I was not disappointed. Relatively stripped down, yet powerful black metal. Plenty of excellent riffs and great performances on display here.
Outre– Ghost Chants | Debemur Morti Productions
A fantastic album in the vein of Deathspell Omega and Blut Aus Nord, full of angular riffs and tortured vocals. Outre showcase an exceptional consistency on Ghost Chants. There really isn’t a second wasted on this rather short album. As one of the best examples of this style to date, I fully expect that this album will become a classic of the genre in time.
Abhorrent– Intransigence | Willowtip
I have been awaiting this album for quite some time, to the point where I half expected to be disappointed, such was the level of anticipation that had built up in the seven years or so that it took to put it together. Not so. A veritable whirlwind of abrasive Death Metal riffs and clattering blast beats, interlaced with more atmospheric elements, not too dissimilarly to Gorguts or Ulcerate. Absolutely Essential.
I have been following Perditor’s various projects (Arfsynd, Orvicus) for a number of years and while Grift is a departure from his previous musical activity stylistically, a very high standard of quality is maintained, as expected. Syner boasts a multitude of pure and elegant melodies, all building towards creating a deep ethereal feeling. A very personal record and one that will stick with me for some time.
Lychgate– An Antidote for the Glass Pill | Blood Music
A delightfully bizarre album that is remarkable for its heavy use of the organ. Quite an unusual instrument to throw into the mix, it must be said. However, it is incorporated quite well into the chaotic, dizzying song structures. Certainly an album with plenty of depth and a wide textural palette.
Shroud Of The Heretic– Unorthodox Equilibrium | Iron Bonehead Productions
A colossal album, boasting perhaps the heaviest production that I’ve come across this year. Through crawling and forceful riffs and cavernous vocals, Shroud of the Heretic have produced an incredibly sinister piece of work. Yet, Unorthodox Equilibrium is occasionally punctuated by eerie clean passages, which are effective in mixing things up enough to keep things interesting without compromising the cohesiveness of the album.
Lunar Mantra– Genesis | Invictus Productions
Stunning debut release from these newcomers from Glasgow. Through well constructed song structures and deft riffing, Genesis emanates a highly charged occult atmosphere. Originally a digital release, Lunar Mantra has since issued this EP in digipack format. Highly recommended.
Aosoth / Order of Orias [Split]– Split EP | W.T.C Productions
Including this release was a no-brainer for me. With two bands of such a calibre collaborating, the excellent result was a foregone conclusion. An essential purchase in 2015 for any fan of black metal.